It’s always a challenge for politicians to figure out what they’re going to do once their political careers are over. Some start charitable organizations, while others write books about their time in office. However, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is considering taking a different approach.
On Friday, CNNMoney revealed that Christie, whose term is up in January of next year, has had talks recently with both MSNBC and CNN about working for them as a contributor once his term officially ends. Three sources with knowledge of the talks shared this information with CNNMoney.
CNN declined to comment on the story, but an MSNBC source said that Christie and network executives are “talking about a possible deal.”
Nothing has been set in stone yet, and a source familiar with Christie’s decision-making process said that he is “not really too far down with anything.”
Part of the reason Christie’s talks with CNN and MSNBC haven’t gotten more serious is the fact that New Jersey ethics rules prohibit him from getting too far into negotiations with television networks while he’s still in office.
When questioned about the governor’s plans, his spokesperson, Brian Murray said that he was “not going to discuss [Christie’s] future plans” because “he has not discussed publicly what he plans or wants to do.”
Earlier this year, it seemed that Christie might pursue a career in radio when he auditioned to replace WFAN host Mike Francesa. However, it was revealed last month that he was no longer under consideration for the job. Christie said in a statement that he decided he didn’t want the job.
‘After considering the other options that I have been presented with for post-gubernatorial employment, I declined their request to do additional shows. I made station executives aware that while I would be happy to continue to fill in for (WFAN morning show co-host) Boomer Esiason when asked and when available, that they should no longer consider me as a candidate interested in any job at WFAN when I leave the Governorship. I made that clear to them prior to leaving for my family vacation two weeks ago.’
There was also a time when Christie was thought to be under consideration for a position in the Trump administration. However, Trump’s former chief strategist, Steve Bannon, said in a 60 Minutes interview preview that was released on Friday that Christie would not be considered.
Bannon said that Christie disqualified himself from a cabinet position when he wasn’t supportive enough of Trump after an audio recording of him bragging about assaulting women was leaked to the press.
‘Christie, because of Billy Bush weekend, was not looked at for a cabinet position. I told him the plane leaves at 11:00 o’clock in the morning. If you’re on the plane, you’re on the team. Didn’t make the plane.’
Watch the interview preview below, via YouTube.
Featured image via Lorenzo Bevilaqua/ABC via Getty Images.