JUST IN: Judge Drops Surprise Bombshell On Trump’s Inauguration Protesters (DETAILS)

-

Mr. Trump’s inauguration got everyone’s attention back in January for a lot of reasons – Trump’s fake claims that the crowds were huge, Trump ditching Melania to greet the Obamas before going up the inauguration steps and then, former President Barack Obama who had enough class to walk back down to open the door of the car to escort her along with he and Michelle, and of course, the many protesters who refused to accept a president as incompetent and corrupt as this one.

On Wednesday, a D.C. Superior Court Judge dismissed rioting charges against six protesters who were arrested during Inauguration Day protests in Washington earlier in the year. Among the most serious charges faced was inciting a riot. However, they still face charges of engaging in a riot and destruction of property. The judge ruled that none of their actions amounted to incitement.

Judge Lynn Leibovitz said:

‘None of them engaged in conduct that amounted to urging other persons to destroy property.’

According to The Washington Post:

‘After hearing the cases presented by prosecutors and defense attorneys during the past three weeks, Judge Lynn Leibovitz on Wednesday said there was not enough evidence against the four women and two men to prove they urged others to riot and destroy property along 16 downtown Washington blocks.’

Judge Lynn Leibovitz said:

‘None of them engaged in conduct that amounted to urging other persons to destroy property.’

Inciting a riot is considered a felony and carries with it hefty penalties of up to ten years in prison and a fine of $25,000. Several months ago, Leibovitz had declined to dismiss the charges of over 200 protesters who were charged as a result of the Inauguration Day riots. In the end, the riots caused over $100,000 in property damage in Washington D.C.

Attorney Brett E. Cohen, who is the attorney for one of protesters whose charges were dropped, said:

‘We still have a long way to go with the other charges.’

According to The Post:

‘The defendants still face seven charges, including five felony destruction of property counts, which carry up to 10 years in prison, and two misdemeanor engaging in a riot charges, each carrying up to 180 days in jail.’

In June, The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) announced that it was going to sue law enforcement for tactics used during the protests. According to Aljazeera:

‘The suit accuses the MPD of making wrongful arrests, violating protesters’ constitutional right to free speech, denying detainees from accessing food and water and carrying out invasive body searches.

‘It says the MPD used “overwhelming and unlawful force” against “non-violent demonstrators at largely peaceful demonstrations where some law-breaking” took place.’

Before the ACLU got involved, many including observers and rights’ groups, demonstrators, and activists had accused the MPD of using execessive force against the march. Aljazeera reported:

‘An earlier investigation (PDF) by the DC Mayor’s Office found evidence that police “indiscriminately” used riot control weapons without justification and “not necessarily in response to unlawful action”. It also accused police of failing to issue dispersal orders to the crowd before attacking them.’

Featured image by Kevin Dietsch-Pool/Getty Images

 

 

 

 

%d bloggers like this: