Two thirds of the 900 refugees currently imprisoned at Manus Island Regional Processing Centre in Papua New Guinea have signed a heart shattering letter begging for assisted suicide, since they have been told that no country is willing to take them.
The letter is titled, “A Christmas Letter From Manus,” and it claims that the helpless asylum seekers are being “tortured and traumatised” every day and would like for a ship to come gas or poison them and then dump them in the ocean to escape from the terrible conditions.
Manus Island is one of several detention centers set up for people who attempt to reach Australia on boats. While there are no children currently on Manus Island, there are children who have been detained for over two years in other detention camps, such as Nauru. There are currently at least 112 children being held in these immigration camps.
Security? Australia knows refugees in Manus better than any other nation. They've been observed in cages 29 mths now pic.twitter.com/mJmQmjychA
— I have a room (@aroom4myfriend) November 25, 2015
The letter from those being imprisoned on Manus Island is addressed to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, states that it is clear that they are considered “rubbish” and asks the government to assist them in suicide.
The heartbreaking letter reads in full as follows:
Hello Dear Mr Malcolm Turnbull and Peter Dutton.
As the refugees and asylum seekers trapped in Manus Island detention we wold like to request you something different this time.
As previously we wrote and asked for help and there was no respond to our request to be freed out of detention we realized that there are no differences between us and rubbish but a bunch of slaves that helped to stop the boats by living in hellish condition. The only difference is that we are very costly for the Australian tax payers and the Politicians as our job to “stop the boats” is done.
We would like to give you some recommendations to stop the waste of this huge amount of money ruining Australian’s reputation and to keep the Australian boarders safe forever.
1. A navy ship that can put us all on board and dump us all in the ocean. (HMAS is always available)
2. A gas chamber (DECMIL will do it with a new contract)
3. Injection of a poison. (IHMS will help for this)
This is not a joke or a satire and please take it serious.
We are dying in Manus gradually, every single day we are literarly tortured and traumatized and there is no safe country to offer us protection as DIBP says.
Merry Christmas in advance
Manus refugees and asylum seekers.
The lawyer who published the letter, Julian Burnside, added a note, stating:
This Christmas, we should all face up to some uncomfortable facts:
- boat people are not “illegal”: they do not break any law by coming here to seek asylum;
- we take them by force to another country (PNG or Nauru);
- we imprison them and mistreat them;
- we vilify them as “illegal” and sanitise the whole exercise by calling it “border protection”
- every aspect of it: the cruelty and the dishonesty, contradicts the most fundamental aspects of Christan teaching;
- all of this has been implemented by people who conspicuously proclaim their Christianity, including Kevin Rudd, Tony Abbott, Scott Morrison.
As citizens of the world, we can do better.
If the GOP gets their way, this may be the new reality that those fleeing violence will also face in America as well.
Featured image via Twitter