Donald Trump campaign added ten names to the list of potential judges The Donald would consider nominating to fill the vacant seat on the Supreme Court.
The problem? One of the judges who made the cut is a former law clerk to Justice Samuel Alito, Senator Mike Lee (R-UT). Lee is under the impression that federal child labor laws, Social Security benefits, and Medicare are all unconstitutional. Yes, you read that right. Some have even deemed him the most conservative member of the United States Senate, and clearly, it’s for good reason.
As if Americans didn’t already have enough to fear over the thought of Donald Trump becoming commander-in-chief, the newly released list of potential judges just adds more fuel to the fire as we can now gather further insight into the legislative plans Trump has up his sleeve.
The list features a range of right-wing judges, varying in the degree to which they fall on the political spectrum. The list was more than likely a politically-motivated move to appeal to far right Republicans in an effort to appeal to more of the party’s base.
According to a statement from Lee:
‘Right now I’m focused on my job in the Senate, where I’m in a good position to defend the Constitution by fighting against government overreach. Both lists that I’ve seen from the Trump campaign are fantastic.’
Lee is the author of a book called Our Lost Constitution, which includes details of his plans to raise the age of retirement in the United States. The Senator from Utah believes cutting back on social spending is a way to solve America’s debt crisis.
As a member of the Tea Party who voted against the establishment, Lee is one who sees the federal government as an over-arching force that impedes upon American’s constitutional rights. He’s dedicated his career to trying to revoke the powers of the federal government in an effort to push America to become a privatized, plutocratic nation.
The terrifying part?
Lee wholeheartedly agrees with the shortlist for the Supreme Court that Trump released, proving further just how alarming the idea of a Donald Trump presidency really is.
Lee told Politico:
‘It wasn’t just that there were some great names on that list, that was the best, most conservative Supreme Court shortlist I’ve ever seen. And I was thrilled by that.’
This expanded list of Trump’s picks is as follows:
- Charles Canady – a justice of the Supreme Court of Florida
- Neil Gorsuch – a judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Mike Lee – a Junior United States Senator from Utah who currently serves on the Senate Judiciary Committee
- Edward Mansfield – a justice of the Iowa Supreme Court
- Federico Moreno – a judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida and a member of the Judicial Conference of the United States
- Margaret A. Ryan – a judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Amul Thapar – a judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Timothy Tymkovich – the chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Robert Young – the chief justice of the Supreme Court of Michigan