With just a few days left before the 538 members of the Electoral College cast their final votes, Republican Electors are now reporting receiving threats from Donald Trump’s campaign.
One Republican Elector, Christopher Suprun, has made it clear that he will not be casting a vote for Donald Trump on November 19. Suprun has also said that other Electors will be following his lead. Other Electors in Colorado, Washington, and California have filed lawsuits attempting to change the laws in their states that require them to vote for the candidate who won the most popular votes. The goal among these “Hamilton Electors” is to replace Donald Trump with another, more qualified Republican.
Not surprisingly, Donald Trump and the members of his campaign are not pleased by the protesting Electors.
An unnamed Elector who spoke to Salon Magazine under the condition of anonymity reports that Republican Electors are now receiving “threats of political reprisal” from Trump’s campaign.
The Elector explained further the situation several of their Republican counterparts are facing.
‘We have gotten reports from multiple people that the Donald Trump campaign is putting pressure on Republican Electors to vote for him based on … future political outcomes based on whether they vote for Donald Trump or not.’
The threats these Electors are facing reportedly are not violent in nature, but rather have to do with “career pressure.”
“It’s all political, basically,” the Elector told Salon. “If Trump becomes the president, he’s going to be able to put pressure on the state parties and they won’t be involved anymore.”
Donald Trump used threats throughout his campaign to gain supporters, from threatening to “open up” libel laws to make it easier to sue news outlets that criticize him to threatening to put Hillary Clinton in jail. Whether these new threats are coming from members of his campaign at his request or from people acting of their own accord, the fact that Electors are receiving them is not exactly surprising.
News of the Trump campaign’s alleged threats comes a day after 10 members of the Electoral College sent a letter to James Clapper, the Director of National Intelligence, to demand a briefing on Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election. As of Tuesday afternoon, 19 more Electors had joined the original 10 in demanding a briefing.
The letter, written by Christine Pelosi, explains that the Electors “require a briefing on all investigative findings, as these matters directly impact the core factors in our deliberations of whether Mr. Trump is fit to serve as President of the United States.”
Since news broke late last week about Russia’s interference, which was specifically intended to get Donald Trump elected, Trump and his team have been fighting tooth and nail to try and brush aside the scandal, which could potentially result in him being forced to give up his position.
Trump has responded to the accusations about Russia, which came as the result of a secret assessment by the CIA, by calling them “ridiculous” and “another excuse.” His campaign also released a statement questioning the credibility of the CIA and encouraging the American people to “move on” and “make America great again.”
Featured image via Drew Angerer/Getty Images.