Last week, Kellyanne Conway made up a terrorist attack called the “Bowling Green Massacre” out of thin air, in what ended up being a sad attempt to prove the necessity of President Donald Trump’s executive order banning travel from seven Muslim-majority countries.
Proving there are no limits to the Trump camp’s use of “alternative facts,” White House press secretary Sean Spicer has joined Conway in making up terror attacks on a whim. Instead of Bowling Green, Kentucky, this time Spicer spoke of Atlanta.
Spicer has repeatedly referenced what he’s referred to as three major terror attacks on U.S. soil: the San Bernardino shooting, the Boston marathon bombing, and now, a major terror attack in Atlanta.
When he appeared on ABC’s This Week on January 29th, Spicer told host Martha Raddatz:
‘There’s 109 people that were slowed down, over 300,000 foreign visitors that came in. But what do we say to the family who loses somebody over a terroristic attack — to whether it’s Atlanta or San Bernardino or the Boston bomber? Those people, each of whom had gone out to a country and then come back. Now granted they’re not on — on the country.’
Then, during an appearance on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Spicer was asked if Trump’s executive order was signed as a result of a terrorist threat on U.S. soil. Spicer responded, saying: “Too many of these cases that have happened, whether you’re talking about San Bernardino, Atlanta, they’ve happened. What—do you wait until you do? The answer is we act now to protect the future.”
Once again, during a White House press briefing on January 30, Spicer pointed to a terrorist attack in Atlanta. In an attempt to justify Trump’s call for “extreme vetting” of immigrants, Spicer told press:
‘I don’t think you have to look any further than the families of the Boston Marathon, in Atlanta, in San Bernardino to ask if we can go further. There’s obviously steps that we can and should be taking, and I think the president is going to continue do to what he can to make sure that this country is as safe as possible.’
Well for starters, there was never a terrorist attack in Atlanta. Secondly, the terror attacks in Boston and San Bernardino weren’t carried out by individuals from any of the seven countries Trump barred from entering the United States in his executive order.
Seamus Hughes, the deputy director of George Washington University’s Center for Cyber and Homeland Security, told The Daily Beast:
‘There has not been a successful jihadi terror attack in Atlanta,’ Hughes concluded.
Meanwhile, President Trump thinks everything is the media’s fault and that they just haven’t been reporting these attacks. He told press at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa:
‘In many cases, the very, very dishonest press doesn’t want to report it. They have their reasons, and you understand that.’
In fact, on Monday evening, the White House released a list of 78 terrorist attacks that have occurred since September 2014.
Atlanta, however, did not make the list.
Feature Image via Getty Images.