Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the government ethics watchdog group headed in part by Bush era government lawyer Richard Painter, has announced a new lawsuit against the Trump Administration. Although other legal challenges against the Trump Administration brought by CREW have not yet proven entirely successful, the announcement of this latest round of litigation comes on the occasion of it proving successful.
CREW says that they will be obtaining and making public the visitor records for Trump’s Florida Mar-A-Lago resort, which Trump has spent 25 of his first 177 days in office at, according to a tracker of the president’s travels maintained by NBC News.
There were questions earlier this year about the security procedures at Mar-A-Lago after Trump held an “impromptu” meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe about the ongoing North Korean missile crisis. There was not, at the time, any indication that the people who may have overheard Trump and Abe’s meeting were not security compromised individuals who had connections to adverse interests.
The present announcement from CREW comes in the context of ongoing litigation seeking to unveil all the records of who the president has met with, not just those people who the president has met with at his Florida resort. It’s a lawsuit from CREW that prompted the institution of the Obama-era policy to make White House visitor logs public, a practice that the Trump White House has discontinued.
Commenting of the situation, CREW Executive Director Noah Bookbinder said:
‘The public deserves to know who is coming to meet with the president and his staff. We are glad that as a result of this case, this information will become public for meetings at his his personal residences—but it needs to be public for meetings at the White House as well.’
The press release on the matter from CREW states that the litigation seeking to unveil White House visitor logs “remains ongoing,” while the Department of Homeland Security, which will be turning over the Mar-A-Lago records, claims to have no records of visitors to Trump Tower, records which CREW also sued for.
CREW states that they “will publicly release the visitor logs upon receiving them by September 8th.”
Read the press release below.
Check out Twitter’s thoughts below.
This is excellent news. Trump is all about transparency, right @KellyannePolls?
— Janet Banker (@saysthepea) July 17, 2017
How much you wanna bet there are mysterious guests to the WH that we'll never know about because they were never properly logged in? ?
— Mighty Mouse to the WH! (@FreedomTruthJoy) July 17, 2017
Wondering if they will release them? DOJ hasn't complied with the legislative branch. They seem to ignore/avoid whatever they want.
— Who is asking? (@TheSolardiva) July 17, 2017
Good to hear, a shame that our democracy hanging on by a few groups like CREW, a handful of media companies, bob, and a few good men/women.
— Chris Raimondi (@ChrisRaimondi) July 17, 2017
Shed light on shadowy members of the Trump Crime Syndicate!
— Mike Runyan (@runyan50) July 17, 2017
I can't imagine that everyone that visited signed those logs and if they did I can't imagine real names were used…
— Rebecca Hinton (@Serendipity33) July 17, 2017
good. now we just need to cross-reference the logs w campaign donations/foreign monies & the planned decimation of American neighborhoods.
— Citizens Investigate (@CitizensInvest) July 17, 2017
Can't they just scrub the names they don't want released before sept 8? Who would know?
— Dorothy Zbornak (@RandomRenee_) July 17, 2017
Featured Image via Pete Marovich-Pool/ Getty Images