After President Trump threatened both North Korea and Venezuela with force, it appears that now there is an order out to kill one U.S. Senator. There has been an ongoing Twitter war between Venezuelan socialist party deputy Diosdado Cabello and Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), which started earlier this week.
Cabello announced that the government had gotten an apparent military rebellion under control, before the military or defense minister had a chance to weigh in. Sen. Marco Rubio then referred to allegations of drug trafficking that had irked Cabello for awhile. Rubio tweeted:
— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) August 6, 2017
This led to an exchange where Cabello said Rubio might be behind the “terrorist attack,” since he was the first official to comment about it. Then, Cabello began referring to him as “Narco Rubio.” Cabello has long been suspected of drug trafficking by the U.S. authorities, and has been referred to as “the Pablo Escobar of Venezuela.”
Last month, the Department of Homeland Security sent a memo to several law enforcement agencies outlining a death threat to Marco Rubio. The memo revealed an “order to have Senator Rubio assassinated.” The memo also said that:
‘[N]o specific information regarding an assassination plot against Senator Rubio has been garnered thus far’
U.S. authorities know that Cabello has been critical of Rubio in Venezuelan media, but weren’t able to verify the threat. The U.S. does believe that Cabello controls all of Venezuela’s security forces. The memo also detailed that Cabello may have contacted “unspecified Mexican nationals” in connection with his alleged plan to harm Rubio.
President Trump has been listening to Senator Rubio regarding policy towards Venezuela, and Rubio may have some influence as a Republican. Rubio was first seen with beefed up security at a July 19 Senate hearing, and they have been following the senator in Washington and Miami for the past several weeks.
The Venezuelan Embassy declined to comment on Saturday, and a spokeswoman for Rubio declined to comment on the death threats as well. Rubio’s office had previously sent reporters’ questions about the security detail to Capitol Police who also declined to comment.
Homeland Security spokesman David Lapan stated:
‘(The DHS) is responsible for the security of members of Congress. It would be inappropriate for DHS to comment on the seriousness of the threat.’
Featured image by David Paul Morris/Bloomberg via Getty Images.