The Republican House of Representatives has acted more like Donald Trump’s bodyguards than a separate branch of government responsible for providing a check on him. Now that Democrats have taken the House, they have quite a bit of cleaning up to do. They have hit the ground running though, shooting out a list of subpoenas for a full 85 topics or anticipated topics.
Democrats will begin a dramatic series of investigations and fire up subpoenas for the White House, according to Axios. Of course, they cannot hit everything at once, the the upcoming House Intelligence Committee chair, Adam Schiff (D-CA) told Axios on HBO.
Each of the House committees with renewed Democratic leadership will prioritize the most important topics, beginning with the internet threat of Russia and the nuclear threat of North Korea. Then, the committees will delve into everything from Trump’s long withheld tax returns to Jared Kushner’s ethics law compliance to the lack of response to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico.
According to Axios, the list included:
- ‘President Trump’s tax returns
- Trump family businesses — and whether they comply with the Constitution’s emoluments clause, including the Chinese trademark grant to the Trump Organization
- Trump’s dealings with Russia, including the president’s preparation for his meeting with Vladimir Putin
- The payment to Stephanie Clifford — a.k.a. Stormy Daniels
- James Comey’s firing
- Trump’s firing of U.S. attorneys
- Trump’s proposed transgender ban for the military
- Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s business dealings
- White House staff’s personal email use
- Cabinet secretary travel, office expenses, and other misused perks
- Discussion of classified information at Mar-a-Lago
- Jared Kushner’s ethics law compliance
- Dismissal of members of the EPA board of scientific counselors
- The travel ban
- Family separation policy
- Hurricane response in Puerto Rico
- Election security and hacking attempts
- White House security clearances’
Axios on HBO showed Schiff talking about his intentions to investigate POTUS’ attack on the media and the First Amendment. Schiff was especially interested in Trump’s mistreatment of The Washington Post and CNN.
Representative Nita Lowey (D-NY) will be the House Appropriations chair in January. She wants to delve into Trump’s Space Force, among other areas.
Democrats had already submitted 64 subpoenas to the House Oversight Committee. Yet, the Republicans said no. This was the a partial list of the ones that Axios compiled:
- ‘Departments of Justice, Homeland Security, and Health and Human Services Withholding Documents on Trump Administration Child Separation Policy
- Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross Withholding Testimony on Census 2020 Citizenship Question
- Department of Veterans Affairs Withholding Documents Relating to Reports that Mar-a-Lago Members Influencing Department Decisions
- White House Withholding Report and Documents on Security Clearance Process Required by Law
- White House Withholding Documents on Revocation of John Brennan Security Clearance
- White House Withholding Documents on John Bolton Security Clearance
- State Department Withholding Documents on Retaliation
- Office of Personnel Management Refusing to Provide Briefing on Complying with Court Order
- Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Withholding Documents on Medicaid Work Requirements
- Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Withholding Documents on Scrubbing of Department Websites
- State Department Withholding Documents on Decision to Close Cyber Office
- Director of National Intelligence Testifying Before the Oversight Committee on the extent of the Russian Threat to Our Country and Our Elections.
- Department of Justice Withholding Documents About Refusal to Defend the Affordable Care Act in Court
- White House Withholding Documents on Contractor Wanted for Attempted Murder’
Featured image is a screenshot via YouTube.