When the U.S. economy is doing well, American voters tend to credit the president, and when the economy is doing poorly, presidential approval ratings plummet. Since everything is upside-down under a Trump presidency, that basic truth doesn’t hold anymore.
Good feelings about the economy haven't helped Trump's approval ratings. They're still lower compared to presidents with similarly well-performing economies. https://t.co/F53yciUVvB
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) May 21, 2019
In a Quinnipiac poll released on Tuesday, Americans were shown to have positive views of the economy. A majority of those polled said that they’re better off financially today than they were in 2016 and that the economy is “excellent” or “good.”
‘The nation’s economy is “excellent,” 22 percent of American voters say in a Quinnipiac University National Poll today, the highest “excellent” rating for the economy. Another 49percent of voters say the economy is “good.” The total 71 percent for “excellent” and “good” is the highest total number for American voter attitudes on the economy in almost 18 years.
‘Some 52 percent of American voters say they are better off financially today than they were in 2016, while 21 percent say they are worse off and 23 percent say they are the same.’
Here's an interesting disconnect to think about.
The new Quinnipiac poll finds majorities think economy is good.
But it also finds that Trump is badly under water — on his trade and China policies!
"America First" nationalism is unpopular.
New piece: https://t.co/GFnNTUVKG5
— Greg Sargent (@ThePlumLineGS) May 21, 2019
It doesn’t appear, however, that voters are crediting Trump for the economic upturn. Perhaps the majority of them are aware that the economy was on a positive upswing for eight years before Trump took office. Perhaps they understand that Trump is riding the Obama wave and that he is jeopardizing it with his ridiculous policies on tariffs. Both of these possibilities seemed to hold true in the results of the poll.
‘Voters say 48 – 40 percent the president’s trade policies are bad for the U.S. economy,and say 44 – 36 percent that these policies are bad for their personal financial situation.’
Poll assistant director: "The nation's economy is pretty darn good and President Donald Trump's approval numbers are pretty darn awful…how to correct it?" https://t.co/dTVaRc2TXR
— KXAN News (@KXAN_News) May 21, 2019
The poll also showed that Vice President Joe Biden has a much higher approval rating and lower disapproval rating than President Trump. Other candidates lag slightly behind Trump in the polls, but Bident is beating him by a wide margin.
‘With a 49 – 39 percent favorability rating, former Vice President Joseph Biden is the only presidential contender, Democrat or Republican, with a clear positive score. Favorability ratings for other Democrats are negative or mixed.’
Only 38% of voters give Trump a positive approval rating, while 57% give him a thumbs down, the poll by Quinnipiac University says.https://t.co/GYIt47Debt
— Kat Dancing (@KatDancing5) May 21, 2019