Donald Trump’s long and tumultuous road to the 2020 census is finally at an end. After the Supreme Court ruled that his reasoning for adding the citizenship question was “fradulent,” he continued to insist that he’d pursue getting the question added. A federal judge in New York, however, is prepared to make sure that doesn’t happen.
Federal judge issues order definitively blocking Trump administration from adding citizenship question to 2020 census in any form https://t.co/RzH77HXbcT
— KTLA (@KTLA) July 16, 2019
The Department of Commerce, headed by Wilbur Ross, told Congress as well as the Supreme Court that the citizenship question was being asked in order to protect the Voting Rights Act by ensuring that undocumented immigrants do not vote, a claim Trump has insisted happens regularly but without any proof. The disengenuous claim was struck down in every federal court before finally being voted down 5-2 by the Supreme Court. Trump later said he would drop the legal battle and simply get the information he wanted in a different way.
After some upheaval when Trump tweeted that he would instead pursue the question, after SCOTUS voted against him, a judge decided that enough was enough. After all the cititzenship question was dropped from the census in the 1950s after it was used to detain Japanese Americans and throw them in internment camps. Judge Jesse Furman, who was appointed by President Obama, ruled that
‘A New York federal judge has issued an order definitively blocking the Trump administrationfrom adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census in any form,Â despite the administration’s insistence it has abandoned plans to add a question on the census.
‘Judge Jesse Furman, in his two-page order, alsoÂ indicated the seriousness with which the court will continue to monitor this controversial issue, saying,”The Court will retain jurisdiction in this case to enforce the terms of this Order until the 2020 census results are processed and sent to the President by December 31, 2020.”‘
Haha victory for America! @realDonaldTrump’s census question permanently blocked! Haha Trump! https://t.co/ICZOh31ues
— Cortney Phillips (@TwoCortWort) July 16, 2019
Trump is sure to call Furman’s decision part of some deep state conspiracy against him since the federal judge was appointed by our last decent president, because court decisions that block him from doing unconstitutional things can never be his fault for trying to push ridiculous, unconstitutional policies. The House Oversight Committee is also still investigating whether Ross lied under oath when he gave the same reason to them about the purpose of the Trump administration’s move to add the citizenship quesiton.
President Donald Trump announced last week that he will seek citizenship information from agencies that already collect the data following the following the Supreme Court’s decision in June that kept a lower court’s order to block a citizenship question from the census in place.
Trump repeatedly said he would continue fighting to insert the question despite the court’s ruling before ultimately issuing an executive order last week directing the Commerce Department to obtain citizenship data through means other than the census instead of attempting to put the question on census forms, or adding it separately.
A federal judge has rejected a request by the Trump admin to assign a new legal team to a lawsuit that blocked the U.S. from adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census, Bloomberg News reports.https://t.co/u2YmtNIxP1
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 9, 2019
Trump’s legal fights on this issue in recent days have not gone well. The president previously had a Twitter tantrum when Trump tried to replace his legal team to reenter the fight, referring to his nomination by Obama and insisting that it is a sad day when the U.S. cannot ask census takers what their citizenship status is.
‘U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman in Manhattan called the government’s request “patently deficient,” adding that the U.S. had provided “no reasons, let alone ’satisfactory reasons,’ for the substitution of counsel.” He said the government has to show that replacing the team won’t add further delay to the suit.’
Trump: ."vowed to find another way to count citizens separately from noncitizens despite a Supreme Court ruling that blocked him from adding a question to the once-a-decade census."
— Lonnie Hicks (@Lnnie) July 15, 2019
Featured image via Flickr by 86-385 under a Creative Comons license