Feds Launch Investigation Of GOP Fake Elector Plot

0
609

In a recent discovery, certificates sent to the National Archives listing 2020 presidential electors with signatures confirming their state’s vote for president became a focus of news organizations and, now, law enforcement agencies. The problem with the certificates listing the electors is that the signatures came from people not authorized to cast an electoral vote and that their vote for Donald Trump defied the will of voters in their states, the states of Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Nevada, and Wisconsin. Each of those states went to Democratic candidate Joe Biden.

Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco confirmed on Tuesday that the matter is being taken up by federal prosecutors, to whom the case was referred. In regards to the details of the investigation, Monaco said only that “we’ve received those referrals. Our prosecutors are looking at those and I can’t say anything more on ongoing investigations.”

In an exclusive interview with CNN, Monaco was able to paint a broader picture of what Trump allies involved in the submission of the forged documents are facing.

‘Monaco did not go into detail about what else prosecutors are looking at from the partisan attempt to subvert the 2020 vote count. She said that, more broadly, the Justice Department was “going to follow the facts and the law, wherever they lead, to address conduct of any kind and at any level that is part of an assault on our democracy.”‘

The story of the forged documents was broken first by MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, who began with a story of a fake elector certificate sent into the National Archives before finding that similar documents, some using the precise same language, had been filed in seven states.

‘The certificates contain the signatures of Trump supporters who falsely claimed to be the rightful electors in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Nevada and New Mexico — all states that President Joe Biden had won. Some of the certificates were sent by top officials representing the Republican Party in each state, according to the documents, which were obtained and made public by the watchdog group American Oversight.’

As the story has gained attention by officials in each of the seven states, more information has been revealed. For instance, former Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani appears to have been directing the groups of “electors,” making him a target of the investigation. Election officials, however, have become a target of harassment by those looking to block the probe. Monaco addressed those concerns in the interview.

‘”I’m concerned about the really disturbing nature of the threats that we’ve seen. They’ve been disturbingly aggressive, and violent and personal,” Monaco said. She pointed to an indictment unveiled by the Justice Department last week alleging that a Texas man had threatened to kill Georgia election officials. The indictment was the first to be brought after the formation of a department task force focused on the issue. “Those charges were the first coming out of that task force but they will not be the last,” Monaco said.’