48 Percent Say Trump Should Drop Out Of 2024 Race After Criminal Charges

0
1224

In new survey data from Ipsos collected in association with ABC News, nearly half of overall respondents agreed that Donald Trump should suspend his presidential campaign in the wake of an indictment in New York.

The dozens of criminal charges he is facing in Manhattan after a grand jury’s recent approval of the case hinge on alleged falsifications of business records, which, as generally understood, were meant to cover up reimbursements for the hush money given to Stormy Daniels before the 2016 presidential election. It’ll be looming for some time, with Trump set to return to court, save other intervention or resolution to the case, in December. Asked in the Ipsos polling whether they “think Donald Trump should or should not suspend his presidential campaign because of this indictment,” 48 percent backed suspension, and it’s not as though Trump got the other 52 percent. Rather, only 35 percent said Trump should keep running, with a remainder unsure.

He could eventually face a stint in jail in connection to these allegations if found guilty, although that possibility, even if seen, is probably far off. In the meantime, Judge Juan Merchan, who is handling the criminal proceedings, has threatened court action to restrict statements from Trump should the ex-president turn towards rhetoric he should probably morally be avoiding anyway.

“Certainly, the Court would not impose a gag order at this time even if it were requested,” Merchan said in court with Trump last week. “I don’t share your view that certain language and certain rhetoric is just by frustration… I would encourage counsel on both sides, the People to please speak to your witnesses. Defense counsel, speak to your client and anybody else you need to, and remind them to please refrain, please refrain from making statements that are likely to incite violence or civil unrest. Please refrain from making comments or engaging in conduct that has the potential to incite violence, create civil unrest, or jeopardize the safety or well-being of any individuals. Also, please do not engage in words or conduct which jeopardizes the rule of law, particularly as it applies to these proceedings in this courtroom. This is a request I’m making. I’m not making it an order. But now that I have made the request, if I were to be handed something like this again in the future, I have to take a closer look at it.”